The world’s favourite tunes to do a spot of DIY to have been revealed, and it seems Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish and Tame Impala provide the best soundtrack if you’re looking to spruce up your home.
- New Spotify research analysed over 70,000 songs in playlists for common DIY tasks like painting and decorating, plumbing and even flat-pack furniture
- Fleetwood Mac’s Dreams is the most featured song, while Taylor Swift ranked as the most popular artist
- Pretty Girl by Clairo is the most popular song for painting and Down Under by Men at Work is the most added track on playlists for plumbing
Interest in DIY has skyrocketed during the pandemic, so Roofing Megastore analysed data from more than 70,000 songs on Spotify to reveal which songs were added the most to playlists for tasks such as: painting, gardening, home renovations, plumbing, and even putting together troublesome flat-pack furniture.
Fleetwood Mac’s 1977 relaxed hit ‘Dreams’ is revealed to be the song that tops the charts for DIY enthusiasts around the world. All the tunes in the top 10 appear to be chilled and laid-back songs, which could be because many of us like to feel calm and relaxed when focussing on DIY.
Here’s the top 10 list of the most listened to DIY songs:
1. Dreams (2004 Remaster) – Fleetwood Mac (added 48 times to different DIY playlists
2. The Less I Know the Better – Tame Impala (45)
3. Sunflower (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse OST) – Post Malone (44)
4. Pretty Girl – Clairo (44)
5. Are you Bored Yet? (feat. Clairo) – Wallows (42)
6. Sweater Weather – The Neighbourhood (42)
7. Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison (41)
8. Sunflower – Rex Orange County (39)
9. We fell in love in October – Girl in Red (39)
10. Circles – Post Malone (37)
Pretty Girl by Clairo, which ranked fourth overall, also appears to be the most popular song on playlists created especially for painting. For gardening it’s Van Morrison’s Brown Eyed Girl, and Down Under by Men at Work is the most added track on playlists for plumbing.
Donna Summer’s Hot Stuff is apparently the best track to listen to if you’re tackling flat-pack furniture and, for general home improvement, Dancing in the Dark by Bruce Springsteen was added to playlists the most. Also very appropriately, when looking specifically at playlists created for home improvement, Limp Bizkit’s self-explanatory track ‘Break Stuff’ appeared as the third most popular track.
Taylor Swift is the artist that featured the most in DIY playlists. In at number two, it’s Billie Eilish and at number 3 it’s Tame Impala – beating old favourites like The Beatles and Fleetwood Mac. Harry Styles, Hozier, the Arctic Monkeys and Post Malone also feature in the top 10.
Top 10 Artists For DIY
1. Taylor Swift (added 659 times to different DIY playlists)
2. Billie Eilish (345)
3. Tame Impala (339)
4. The Beatles (283)
5. Fleetwood Mac (282)
6. Mac Miller (274)
7. Harry Styles (273)
8. Arctic Monkeys (225)
9. Hozier (224)
10. Post Malone (221)
Gian-Carlo Grossi, Managing Director at Roofing Megastore commented: “Since the pandemic began almost a year ago now, we’ve seen a big uplift in the number of people wanting to improve their homes and tackle DIY projects at home. Everyone knows it’s impossible to successfully complete a DIY task if you don’t have the correct motivational music, and our research clearly shows Taylor Swift is the Queen of all things DIY.
Whatever the song or artist, we think doing anything to music makes the outcome better and the process more enjoyable, so for anyone at a loss for what to stick on before picking up the hammer, we hope our findings provide some inspiration.”
The full findings including embeddable playlists and breakdowns between each DIY task can be found here: roofingmegastore.co.uk/blog/most-popular-diy-songs